Deadline: April 30, 2018
Should you have any questions please contact us at email@example.com .
TBT is dedicated to producing staged readings of full-length new work. For our purposes, "new work" means that the play has never been fully produced. Previous readings and workshops do not render the piece ineligible. We are creating a forum for conversation, and as such we are seeking plays that raise questions about pertinent social, political, or environmental issues of our time.
The next call for submissions is for plays that highlight public safety issues. Topics could include, but are not limited to, gun violence, responsible policing, domestic abuse, and addiction.
At the beginning of May, we will commence our play selection process. We will announce the chosen play in late-June. The reading will take place in Orange County, California in September or October of 2018. While we highly encourage playwrights to attend rehearsals and readings, we understand that it may be impractical in some cases and do not require it. We encourage local and non-local playwrights to submit.
In addition to a desire to foster conversation within our diverse community, TBT also seeks to support new voices in American theatre and local artists. As such, the playwright of the selected work will receive a writer's fee and will not be responsible for the payment of actors and directors nor the rental of spaces. Please note that TBT cannot provide any additional funds for travel or lodging, though we may be able to help arrange either.
To submit your play for consideration, go to the submission form. Be prepared to answer some basic questions about you, your play, and the important issues your story addresses. You will be asked to upload your full script in PDF form, and we ask that you include a title page and use the file name format LASTNAME_TITLE.pdf.
PLEASE READ THESE ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES CAREFULLY. ANY SUBMISSION THAT DOES NOT FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. These guidelines will also be posted directly on the submission form.
Talk Back Theatre currently accepts submissions via Google Forms. If you do not have a Google account or prefer not to submit through Google, you may email us for an application form to submit to us directly. DO NOT EMAIL YOUR SCRIPT WITHOUT AN APPLICATION FORM. It will not be accepted.
1. Submissions must address or highlight a pertinent public safety issue.
This call is seeking plays that touch on gun violence, responsible policing, domestic abuse, addiction, or other issues that fall into the category of public health and safety. Think about what important social issues the audience and panel might discuss after the reading.
2. Submissions must be full-length plays.
This includes plays of one or more acts that are not significantly shorter that 75 pages. We are seeking plays that are over one hour in performance. This excludes 10-minute plays, stand-alone scenes, and one-act plays significantly shorter than 75 pages.
3. Submissions must be unproduced scripts.
For our purposes, previous workshop performances or staged readings do not count as productions.
4. Submissions must NOT be one-person shows.
Talk Back Theatre is not currently producing readings that feature only one performer, even if that piece fits the other guidelines listed.
5. Submissions should NOT rely heavily on extensive movement/dance or media (projections, music, etc.).
Scripts are not disqualified for including any of these elements. However, our readings have minimal blocking and we cannot accept scripts that require dance or other serious movement (including fight choreography), nor can we accept scripts the require projections or other media, including music. If you do not believe your script can or should be presented without any of these elements, please choose a different play to submit.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- 4th STREET THEATER FIFTH ANNUAL TEN PLAY FESTIVAL
- Chicago's City Lit Theater's "Art of Adaptation Fe...
- Seeking 10-minute plays for show at Lucky Jacks on...
- Seeking Submissions for the 2018 Midwest Dramatist...
- The James Stevenson Prize for Short Plays
- The Chameleon Theatre Circle announces its 19th An...
- Barrington Stage Company New Play Award
- BMI Theatre Workshop
- Embassy of Foreign Artists
- New Voices Series seeks one-act scripts
- Dramatists Guild Foundation
- ALOHA THEATRE SEEKS SCRIPTS FOR 25TH ANNUAL ORIGIN...
- PLAYLAB CLASS OF 2019
- Summer Writing Classes at Primary Stages ESPA!
- TBT seeks full-length plays
- Thespian Production is seeking one-act plays
- The Ten-Minute Musicals Project
- PROBLEMATIC PLAY FESTIVAL
- Manhattan Rep's Summer One Act Play Competition 20...
- American Stage’s 21st Century Voices: 2019 New Pla...
- Studio Players 5th Annual 10-Minute Play Festival
- Parsnip Ship seeks plays for 2018
- 8th Annual Shakespeare's Birthday Sonnet Slam
- Acadiana Repertory Theatre seeks plays and musical...
- The Gate Project
- Gladstone Library Writers in Residence 2019
- Theatre Topics submission guidelines
- OnStage!festival, a new Festival of American Theat...
- Sultan Padamsee Award for Playwriting 2018
- 51st Annual John Gassner Memorial Playwriting Awar...
- Players Theatre Short Play & Musical Festival – NY...
- PLAYWRIGHTS' LAB ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR MEMBER...
- Falso Mutis presents: First Open Call: Playwriting...
- #metoo Plays - 10-minute plays wanted
- Going To The River Festival 2018
- 2018 Third Annual One-Act Playwriting Jamboree
- Small Fish Radio submission guidelines
- Florida Theatrical Association announces the 2018 ...
- Roaring Epiphany Production Company seeks playwrig...
- Protest Plays' Get Out the Vote! Initiative
- Theatre Southwest 21th Annual Theatre Southwest Fe...
- Nylon Fusion Theatre Company This Round's on us: C...
- Seeking short astrology-themed pieces for publicat...
- MadLab full-length submissions
- Everyday Inferno Theatre Co. Annual Outdoor Park S...
- Gi60 2018
- The 2018 Rockford New Play Festival
- Reclamation 2018 Plays written by and about Elders...
- ▼ April (48)
- ► 2017 (662)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)